Exiled in #NYCC – Day One
After months of waiting, New York Comic Con is finally upon us.
If you have never been to a Comic Con, you should go at least once. And leave your preconceptions at home. It’s not that you aren’t going to find what most people think of at a Comic Book convention. Because, you probably will, if look for it. But what you should be looking for is the wide range of amazing and things we have to geek over in this world.
- There are movies, and TV shows, some of these are based off comics, some of which may surprise you to find out are comics like the Walking Dead. Some are based on books, like True Blood, and Game of Thrones. And of course movies are full of comic book characters, Some are obvious, like the upcoming Batman, Superman, and The Avengers movies. But would be surprised to know that movies like Road to Perdition and Ghost World both started as comics.
- Video games – lots of them, and lots of different kinds. Strategy games, massive multi-player games, sim games, first person shooters. And you can play video games practically anywhere now, on your computer, on your TV, on your iPad, on your smart phones. There is bound to be a game out there that you’ll just geek over. If not, well there’s always Angry Birds.
- Clothes – not just superhero t-shirts either. At Comic Con, you’ll find all sorts of fashion statements. Steampunk, Goth, Hipster, Harajuku, Cyperpunk, oh and yeah, Superhero t-shirts
- Celebrities – Ok it’s not San Diego, but there are a lot famous folk turning up at Comic con, Of course you can find folks like the Godfather of Geekdom Seth Green (Robot Chicken, Family Guy, Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and the geek icons like Mark Hamill and Kevin Smith. But you might be surprised to see SNL cast members Seth Myers and Fred Armisen and comedian/30 Rock cast member Judah Friedlander, along with Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave guitarist Tom Morello. And it’s not just on the panel stages and autograph rooms that you see these folks. They are out there on the floor, mixing with folks, and looking for swag just like the rest of us, because Celebrities can be geeks too.
- Of course that leads us to swag. What’s swag? you name it. Vintage toys, or new ones. Cool prop replicas, posters, photos, and just cool stuff. Of course some of this stuff doesn’t come cheap, but luckily most vendors take plastic.
- Of course there are comic books, Lots of comic books, and all that comes with them, graphic novels and Comic book writers, artists and all of that come with the comics.
Maybe you never thought of yourself as a Comic Con person. Maybe you never read a comic in your life.
But if you can, you should try to attend a Comic Con at least once, and release the geek with in.
Here are some sites from Day 1